Monday, July 8, 2013

no churn bitter orange bitters ice cream





I've been wanting to try one of Nigella's no churn ice cream recipes since I first stumbled across them. I settled on her recipe for No Churn Bitter Orange Ice Cream. As seville oranges were not available to me, I substituted one orange and two limes per her suggestion. I was slightly skeptical as to whether or not the flavors would come out as well, but found the end result to be exotic yet simple. I recommend the addition of four really solid dashes of bitters. A word of caution: the tartness is addictive. You might find yourself slightly ashamed when you realize how much heavy whipping cream you just consumed. 

Below are the recipe proportions I used, translated from the original recipe to standard American units and tweaked to my tastes. Do yourself a favor and throw a towel over the bowl as it whips.

no churn bitter orange bitters ice cream
1 juicing orange
2 limes
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
4 dashes Angostura bitters


Zest the orange and one of the limes. Squeeze the juice of all three and pour into a bowl with the zest and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then add the double cream. Hit it with four serious dashes of Angostura bitters. Whip everything until it holds soft peaks, and then turn into a shallow air-tight container (will need to hold approximately 4 cups) with a lid.
Cover and freeze until firm (from 3 to 5 hours).




No comments:

Post a Comment