Wednesday, July 3, 2013

wine wednesdays


Admittedly I often too quickly write off wines that do not impress me with bold flavors right off the bat. I was ready to write off Substance shiraz. 

By the second glass, let's just say I was open to a second date. It's diplomatic. Offers a friendly greeting, not entirely forgettable. Safe bet for a dinner party. Perfect bet for a pitcher of sangria, now that I think about. 

Lately I have been making a conscious effort to drink almost exclusively Washington wines, and I am learning to appreciate the subtleties of different flavor profiles. Grapes for Shiraz grow well in our fair state. Cabernet sauvignon? Not so much. Or at least not as consistently. What you get in a Washington cab can be quite fickle depending on the year.

With that in mind, here are the notes I was suppose to pick up on and relay to you: blackberry, black current, black raspberry, black plum ... I think I'm picking up on the theme here. White and black pepper, cinnamon, anise, prune, oak, soy (soy?), chocolate, smoke, sausage, toast, violets. Like most flavor profiles, I think the label is slightly ambitious in their claims. Still, I would recomend picking up a bottle next time you need a reliable date for a dinner party that will get you home on time.

substance 2010/ $12.99



No comments:

Post a Comment