Friday, August 2, 2013

RockCreek Seafood & Spirits


A fantastic new restaurant quietly opened this week in Fremont. Maybe you've heard of it? RockCreek Seafood & Spirits. 

The first restaurant for Eric Donnelly - formly executive chef of Toulouse Petit - offers a menu that focusses on two of my favorite things: seafood and spirits. Sold! 

Rockcreek is located in the previous home of Dovetail General Contractors (who have moved further down into Fremont near the canal, and are reportedly working on a space housing a collective of local shops, similar to a Melrose Market - I can't wait to see how it shapes up!). The restaurant itself is lovely, designed by Graham Baba Architects, a local darling for creating beautifully tactile spaces. A quick shout out to Allan Carandang who did the logo brand identity and website. If you have yet to have the pleasure of meeting Allan, know that he is one of the most talented and wonderful people you will ever encounter. I particularly love his sketches of Pioneer Square.

At this point the boyfriend would like me to note that the wood siding defining the landscaping smells like the Jersey Shore. In a good way. Whatever that means.

However, this leads me to the soft-shelled crab. Another east coast reference I was not previously familiar will. This first experience blew my mind, being a Seattle native - born and raised - and use to the giant dungeness and king crabs with decidedly hard shells. Wait, so I can really eat the shell? All of it? Even the claws? It's so soft! I can't believe I'm eating the shell! Be thankful you weren't there to have to sit through that one.

We enjoyed two other generously portioned small plates: the chilli barbequed octopus and Barron Point clams calabrese. The octopus was hands down our favorite, but I am a fiend for octopus, so when is it not? The soft shell crab with its delightful slivers of pickled watermelon radish and ginger basil vinaigrette was a close second. Manners be damned as I found myself finishing off every last drop. Not to slight the clams, which came in third purely by default. Slightly spicy, they would easily have been a favorite dish at another joint. Next time we go back I am dying to try the Dungeness crab chili relleno and the house hung Albacore tune bresaola. If you get there before me, please drop me a line and let me know what you try!

But, enough about the seafood. Let's jump right to the good stuff: spirits. I don't often see a cocktail that contains both Fernet Branca and Cynar, so of course I had to order one. The Bridlewood, as it's known,  is based on a pre-prohibition cocktail that lead bartender Joshua wisely put on the menu. RockCreek keeps it local with their spirits, highlighting Mischief John Jacob Rye Whiskey for this particular drink. (If you have not yet been to Mischief in Fremont, I highly recommend a tour. The distillery's custom metal work is stunning.) The Bridlewood is finished off with half a bar spoon of Licor 43, and finally a cucumber garnish which works to highlight both the sweetness of Licor 43, as well as the earthiness of the Fernet Branca and Cynar.
Personable and wildly accommodating, Joshua entertained my peppering of questions regarding his bar. He even took the time to pour us a sample of Licor 43, which we had never tasted before. (Verdict: SWEET. Currently scheming to get ourselves some to drizzle over ice cream.) If you are not familiar with Licor 43 as I was not, imagine what orange essence would taste like in the land of milk and honey: a harmony of citrus notes, gently aromatic, and almost sickenly sweet. A little will get you a long ways.

Here's how Joshua makes his Bridlewood cocktail, which he was kind enough to share with me:

Bridlewood
1 1/2 ounces Whiskey
1/2 ounce Fernet Blanca
1/4 ounce Cynar
1/2 a bar spoon Licor 43
cucumber garnish

Shake all of the ingredients over ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a generous cucumber slice. Use an English cucumber or other variety with minimal seeds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment