Thursday, September 19, 2013

Creme de Violette



Have you guys been Hattie's Hat lately? Am I the only one who has been missing out on what's been going on behind the bar there? Blame brunch, but I had never made it past the Bloody Mary's on the drink menu. Serious mistake.

I popped into Hattie's Hat for a nightcap the other evening. Frankly surprised to see Creme de Violette listed as an ingredient in a cocktail, and having been curious about violet as a flavoring agent ever since reading about violet liqueurs in The Drunken Botanist, I asked for a taste. I was blown away by the deeply, well, violet flavor. Not overly floral, and pleasantly fresh. Like I had stumbled into Willie Wonka's The Chocolate Room, (all of those birthday candle wishes finally paying off!!), and plucked a sugar violet from the sugar lawn. Or at least how I have always dreamed that would taste. 

I wasted no time in ordering up a Forget Me Not, Hattie's bright play on The Aviation. Straight up violet flavor, balanced nicely by the tart lemon. Not overly floral, and pleasantly fresh. You need to make one for yourself so that we can discuss. Seriously, I'm still thinking about this drink!

Forget Me Not

1 1/2 ounces gin
1/2 Creme de Violette
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
sparkling wine

Combine all of the ingredients except the sparkling wine in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled and strain into a chilled coupe glass. top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon twist. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment