Monday, October 21, 2013

The Barnacle Bar

So let me tell you about this bar. The Barnacle Bar. The adorable petite crustacean clings to the side of the Walrus and the Carpenter and specializes in aperitifs and small plates served to you across a beautiful copper surface. (Also, how great is their logo?) The owners of the Walrus and the Carpenter must finally have caught on to just how much they were missing out on when they put your name down on the list and sent you off to have a drink while you wait for a later seat. 


I was under the impression that the bar was mildly Italian in influence. Or maybe I just went there automatically when I was immediately served a bowl of crisp, salty potato chips as soon as I could hang up my jacket and saddle up to the bar. It took me right back to the palazzo in Vencie where I had my first Campari soda. And my second, and my third ... you get the idea.


However, the Spanish ham and the traditional Maroccan tile lent the bar a decidedly Spanish vibe. 

We started off strong with Crespelle with Siberian Sturgeon caviar, paired with Adami Bosco di Gica Prosecco. Baller. It's pretty rare but we order so extravagantly - especially at joint that is alreay a splurge - but we had taken a three day weekend just because, and were still flying high from OysterFest the day before.
And then this came. My delightful chinato cocktail, made simply with amaro sibilla and chinotto. So deeply bitter, so perfect. Served over perfectly square ice cubes. It should be noted that squares are my favorite shape, so this is a bonus.

The Octopus terrine glistened. Generously drizzled in olive oil and paper thin. Nick knew enough to back off. 

The meal ended with a tasting flight of amari. Name your price $10/$12/$15, and the barkeep curates an interesting selection from sweet to more complex. This is what we tried:

Amaro Nonino
Citrus, elegant, light bodies, very sweet.

Amaro Ciochiaro
Similar the Nonino, with added depths of herbal and floral.

Rabarbaro Zucca
A rhubarb amaro. Would be interested to see if it plays well with others. (Strongly suspect it would!)

Amaro L'Herborista
Unflitered, smoked, bitter.

Amaro L'Herborista was hands down my favorite. I remained swept up by the bitterness and complexity until the barkeep offered a sample of the amaro from my original cocktail. 

Ultimately, it was Amaro Sibilia for the win.

I use to wonder how skiers could spend so much money - and so much time - on a hobby! Find another, more reasonable, hobby! But then I got sucked into cocktail culture and now understand what a never ending black hole hobbies can be. No judgement. 

It's been replaced with indulgence. Which is why I very quickly had a bottle of Sibilia in my possession soon after visiting Barnacle. While armari start around twenty bucks, and average around the fifty dollar range, with my luck I just had to have the sixty-seven dollar bottle. Also, I am pretty sure that I inverted the true price when Nick looked at me from under a quisical brow and asked the cost. Let's just say that I will be nursing this baby for some time!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment