Tuesday, July 16, 2013

boozy popsicles

Have you ever make homemade popsicles? The childhood treat is one of the most simple summertime delights, but with these recipes it also feels like one of the most indulgent. Below are two variations I tried.




cantaloupe and campari
I used this recipe combining cantaloupe and Campari, two flavors that remind me of sun-drenched afternoons in Italy. Just the type of afternoon I would want to evoke on a leisurely Sunday. I love the bitterness of Campari, so I used the full quarter cup called for in the recipe, though it recommends adding the liqueur in increments until you can just taste it. Sampling the mixture before pouring into the popsicles molds, at first I felt I had been too bold. However, once frozen the flavor mellowed out significantly. 





grapefruit, blueberry and gin
I got a little more adventurous with the second variation that I tried. Equipped with this handy how-to for making boozy popsicles, I combine some of the most quintessential warm-weather flavors. With all the nostalgia of lemonade, this twist on the classic summertime drink uses grapefruit instead of lemons. Blueberries perfectly compliment the tartness, while adding some texture to the popsicle. Of course, no gin cocktail would be complete without a lime garnish.

2 ruby red or pink grapefruit
1 lime
2/3 cup simple syrup
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup gin

Juice two large ruby red or pink grapefruit, and one lime. If, like me, you are juicing by hand, make sure to strain the juice. Add two-thirds cups simply syrup. After either chopping two cups blueberries or pulsing them in a Cuisinart just until there are no whole berries remaining, add them to the mixture as well. Finally, add one-third cup gin. I used No. 209 Gin for it's light, citrus flavor. You will want to stir the mixture just before pouring into the popsicle molds to make sure that the blueberries are evenly distributed. Once in the molds, the berries will float near the top. I think this creates a lovely presentation. Recipes makes approximately eight popsicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment